Monday, April 9, 2012

Banana Bread

Oh, BTW: I live in Duluth now.
This is my new baking view.
If you're like me, you've got about 14 different recipes in your cupboard for banana bread - one from Grandma, one from the other grandma, one from your favorite cookbook, one from the Lutheran Ladies Church Recipe Book... etc.  I know that there's one I prefer over all the others, but every time I see borderline rotting bananas on my countertop, I can never remember which one it is.

Well, finally.  I found a recipe I really like, and I saved it on my computer. Not only that, but I saved it as "My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe".  (Amazing it's taken me 31 years to figure things like this out...)

Anyway, this recipe is adapted from one I found in the cookbook, "How it all Vegan".  I made some changes based on my own dietary preferences, and voila!  It's nutty (without actually having nuts) and it has a wonderfully moist texture.  Darn near perfect, really.  And it's sugar-free! (If you can't live without the sugar - or can't get a hold of agave nectar, 1/4 c. agave = 1/2 c. sugar.)


My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe

3 mashed ripe bananas
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/3 c. walnut oil
1/4 c. agave nectar
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. ground flax seed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Moosh together the bananas, yogurt, oil, and agave nectar.  In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.  Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Stir until blended.  Pour batter into an oiled bread pan and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.  Remove from the pan and cool.  Eat a piece while it's still warm.

1 comment:

  1. i have some bananas in the freezer who have just been WAITING for something like this :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete