Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kitchen Fail.

Friends, sometimes it's important to point out the obvious.  Today it is this: The purpose of making chicken & vegetable broth is to have a bowl full of broth, not a colander full of soggy chicken & vegetables.

I bought my own organic chicken at the co-op.  I roasted it myself.  It was beautiful, and I was proud.  Then, before I was able to eat it, I came down with the stomach flu.  Bummer.

Two days of recovery later, I decided I would make this chicken into chicken soup.  I stuck it in a stock pot full of boiling water, added some vegetable scraps, and let it simmer for a while.  Then, when everything had properly steeped, I poured the contents into a strainer over the sink... WITHOUT CATCHING IT ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!

So now the plumbing in my apartment got some yummy seasoned chicken broth, and I'm left with this:


Good job, Katie.  And you call yourself... a cook? *sigh*  I think I'm going to put a stop to the rest of my kitchen projects for the evening and see if I have better luck tomorrow.  (These are the times I wish I had a dog to eat my mistakes...)

4 comments:

  1. I just tried to comment and pressed "Post Comment" without Ctrl+C-ing my text. It didn't work, and naturally my text disappeared. Kind of like the disappearing stock!

    I was just saying in my original comment that I'm much more likely to forget the bowl when straining stock than to remember it. I feel your pain!

    Also, glad you're feeling better! I had a thing last week and it was less than pleasant. At least it was short. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo something I would do! Blame it on the lingering effects from the flu.

    I'm Julie, nice to "meet" you and your fun style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is uncertain. Home owners and business managers have the possibility of encountering a plumbing emergency at any time.

    PlumbArena Plumbing Spares

    ReplyDelete